The Jamestown Foundation is seeking writers for its China Brief, Militant Leadership Monitor, and Terrorism Monitor publications. Interested writers are invited to submit proposals for articles suited to these publications. In addition to a description of a proposed article, authors are encouraged to submit a short piece of published work in English and a CV/Resume describing prior experience in the field.
Our analysts have experience in their field and must be proficient in the use of relevant indigenous sources.
Writing guidelines for specific publications can be found below. Prospective authors are highly encouraged to review them before submitting an article.
Address all applications or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication-specific guidelines can be found below:
Position Title: Director of Development and Special Events
The Jamestown Foundation is seeking a full-time Director of Development and Special Events. Reporting to the President, the position will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategic development plan to substantially increase major and planned gifts from individuals as well as donations or other support from corporations, foundations, and other grant-giving organizations. In addition, the position will assist in planning and running The Jamestown Foundation’s conferences and special events.
The position will be instrumental in developing a fundraising program to ensure The Jamestown Foundation’s long-term growth and financial stability. This will include developing donor relations and cultivating strategic relationships. The position is based at The Jamestown Foundation’s offices in Washington, D.C. Travel will be required to meet with and engage donors across the United States.
To apply for this opening, please email email@example.com with your resume and a cover letter, using the email subject heading “Director of Development and Special Events.”
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to other duties that may be assigned in the future, the position will have the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with the President to develop, implement, and manage a proactive and effective major gifts strategy and program on an ongoing basis, including all activities relating to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual major and planned gift prospects.
- Work with the President to design and write thoughtful cases for support and detailed donor proposals for major and planned gifts donors.
- Work with the President and Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and solicit corporate, foundation, and other grant-giving partners to support Jamestown’s mission.
- Work with the President and Board of Directors on strategy for the solicitation of major donors as appropriate.
- Work with the Jamestown staff and analysts to cultivate their role in development.
- Maintain appropriate systems for donor tracking and activity monitoring to ensure that cultivation and solicitation strategies are successfully implemented and goals are met.
- Provide regular reports and analysis to the President and Board of Directors to evaluate the effectiveness of Jamestown’s fundraising efforts.
- Represent Jamestown at on-site and off-site events with donors and potential donors.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated success in identifying, cultivating, and raising individual, corporate, and/or foundation gifts in a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to create and nurture long-term relationships with donors and prospects and to develop appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies for each.
- A goal-oriented manager of the solicitation and cultivation process with strong organizational skills.
- A strategic thinker who has demonstrated resourcefulness in working collaboratively in a team environment with various constituencies.
- Ability to articulate the case for support orally and in writing, and to interact with Jamestown Foundation leadership, donors, and prospects at the highest level.
- Ability and willingness to travel as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree required.