Despite denials by Russia’s Defense Ministry and the principals involved, Aleksandr Lebed yesterday claimed that the existence of a military conspiracy, aimed at pressuring President Boris Yeltsin into retaining recently deposed defense minister Pavel Grachev, had been confirmed. Lebed provided no details, but repeated that some senior officers from Grachev’s entourage would be dismissed as a result. (Interfax, June 20) Today, Russia’s Prosecutor General said his office will investigate the allegation. A parliamentary investigator reportedly will tell the Duma later today that he has found no evidence to support Lebed’s claim. (BBC, June 21)
Zyuganov Says Russia Threatened by Civil War.