North Caucasus military district commander Gen. Anatoly Kvashin said that the Russian forces had lost 1,752 men as of June 6; he put Dudayev’s losses at over 14,000. The flow of blood has begun to prompt more criticism in Moscow. Duma deputy Yuli Rybakov of the reformist Russia’s Choice party told Segodnya June 10 that the losses in human life in Chechnya were twice those of Moscow’s ten-year-long war in Afghanistan. And Ostankino television reported June 13 that there had been a small anti-war protest in Moscow’s Theater Square. Meanwhile, the semi-legal Chechen Information Agency in Moscow continues to spread the word about Russian activities in Chechnya to ever more Russians who are concerned about the fighting, Russian television reported June 12. But again on June 13, there was no word on the fate of Fred Cuny, the American aid specialist who has been missing in Chechnya since April 9.
Russian Foreign Ministry Criticizes France for Nuclear Tests.